21 September 2009

September Challenge Quilt

Some sewing to show on the blog for a change. If you have been following my blog I have been making a 12" quilt each month as part of the BQL challenge (see a link to the challenge quilts on the sidebar. This one has taken a little while as there were 16 x 3" log cabin squares, which given their size I found easier to foundation (paper) piece. These blocks were an exercise in colour value having the coloured centres against a light or dark background.

It was another opportunity to use my black and white fabrics as I love the contrast between both and the bright coloured centres add to the contrast. I used Stitch 'n' Tear for the foundations, as although I had to draw on the stabiliser took time I could leave that in and not have to tear it away so saving time that way.

Here it is in its glory - and yes I did know that 2 orange centred blocks were next to each other - never mind.This last weekend we went to Saltaire as David went to a model railway exhibition in nearby Shipley. As part of Saltaire's Art Week, where there were open studios, there was also a festival taking place, with market and live music entertainment. A very lively place and it seemed that best part of West Yorkshire were there it was so busy.

I then met up with David at Salts Mill and a chance to see the arty stuff there. David Hockney's paintings have a display there and it is a nice place to have a meander.


Sunday afternoon we decided to make the most of the warm sunshine (why didn't we have any of this in summer?) by going to Old Moor RSPB Bird Reserve near Barnsley to have a wander. Above is the totem pole near the entrance and there were more wood sculptures at the reserve. Not only did we see birds but there were a lot of dragonflies, one of which landed on this gate. Think I should have used macro mode to take this, but it turned out ok.There were several bird nesting boxes decorated by children dotted around the reserve and couldn't resist taking a photo of the de-luxe accommodation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts