28 October 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival

I have decided to enter the Blogger's Quilt Festival on Amy's Creative Side in the Wall Hangings category here.

I thought I would enter my "Welcome to Hollywood" Quilt.  A real ray of sunshine on a wet and windy autumn day.  The starting point for this quilt was a fat quarter of fabric from Mary of 'Needled Mom', which came with her little quilt from Kate North's "Another Little Quilt Swap" late last year.

The sign with "Hollywood" is at the top, but what you can't see is "Welcome to" at the bottom.  I went to a local quilt exhibition hosted by Quarterjack Quilters, which had a collection of "Nine Patch Pizzazz" quilts that some of the members made, which used feature fabrics with other contrasting fabrics.  I thought this would suit the Hollywood fabric, but with just a fat quarter I had to think small.  So it became a four patch rather than nine patch quilt.

I selected these fabrics from my stash - a red/orange sunflower print batik, a yellow tone on tone and a turquoise/green mottled fabric.  Using an improvised design wall, a piece of polar fleece I then arranged fabrics.
I started with cutting 6.5" squares, some 3.5" and a few strips that were long and thin or short and wide, a bit of juggling around and managed to get the sign to meet up in the middle! I did a couple too many four patches. but it kept me busy all that afternoon.

Here it is all sewn together and I had a batik backing just the right size to go with it.

I kept the quilting simple by quilting in the ditch around the large squares.  I then drew a surfboard shape which I traced onto freezer paper to outline quilt the remainder of the quilt.


All done!  It measures 24" high by 15.5" wide. I really pleased how this has turned out so I'm pleased to be sharing this with you.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! Clever use of such a small piece of fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to make a little go a long way.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts