13 February 2016

How long?

I've been meaning to post about Popular Patchwork magazine as I saw the cover of the latest issue which made me realise how long I've been at this quilting malarkey. The magazine has been going since 1993 and I remember buying the first issue.  That was 23 years ago and the only other magazine at the time was British Patchwork and Quilting, which itself was only available to the public a short time before.

I discovered patchwork about 1992 after I bought a needlework magazine, I think it was Needlecraft, which hasn't been in print for some years, as at the time I was into cross stitch.  The quilting magazines were at the time bi-monthly. It was sometimes difficult to get hold of as only some newsagents would stock them. It's amazing to think now that there are about 6 UK magazines that can be bought in the shops, supermarkets or even to read on your tablet/IPad. Shows how things have changed in that time.

I've also found another sewalong called the Splendid Sampler which starts on Sunday 14th February, do I need to join another as I don't have enough time to do all I'd like to do? Unfortunately work does eat into my sewing time (but I do also like going to work). But I digress. The Splendid Sampler is run by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson.  It has its own website, Facebook page and other social media feeds too with many other well known quilters contributing. I'm typing this on my iPad on Blogger so I can't do the links on this post, but if you Google The Splendid Sampler you'll find it,

I've had a go on the bonus block this morning in advance of the start of the sewalong.
Have a good weekend.

1 comment:

  1. And think f all the help and encouragement available through the Internet - patchwork in the early 90s (when I started too) meant sewing on your own

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts