23 May 2016

Splendid Sampler 7

I'm continuing with making blocks as they come up and also catching up with more complicated ones. Since the last posting I hadn't completed the foundation paper pieced blocks, but yesterday completed these three
The first of the blocks Block 15, Family Affair by Janice Ryan of Better Off Thread I'd first tried printing off from my iPad but the print out came out at the wrong scale and smaller than it should have been.  Printing from the computer made this the correct size so much better. After I took the photo (below) I realised that the flowery fabric seemed to make a 'ring' around the shape, quite pretty.
Next was Block 28 - Stitching Fashion by Charise Randell of Charise Creates which has a lovely strapped dress, together with a reel of cotton and a needle.  This seemed very tricky with lots of little pieces for the bodice part of the dress.  I thought I was running out of the background fabric and it wasn't until I finished and clearing my sewing space that more of this fabric turned up so have a couple of pieces of an alternative appear in this block.  I omitted the cotton reel and needle, adding the dress fabric on each side instead.

Quite pleased to have finished the two blocks another foundation pieced block was announced Scrap Happy Hearts by Christa Wilson of Christa Quilts. Being on a roll I got this done later yesterday afternoon and used scraps from previous SS blocks and didn't need to cut into more fabric.  When posting my photo on Facebook, Christa herself liked the variety of colours in this.
Other blocks I've made recently are these ones.
Block 24 - Inspector Side Kick by Michele Foster. This was a pieced block with Flying Geese which I've seen in red and black and using red floral fabric for the corners and middle.

Block 26 - Dreaming of Dresdens by Jane Davidson. This block had little circles with stems in alternate blades of the Dresden fan, but I decided to omit this. I used a butterfly fabric to highlight the centre.

 Block 27 - Sewing Machine by Pat Sloan. A fused applique block to which I added a fussy cut cotton reel and strip of a selvedge fabric that I had in my stash.
Block 19 - Measure twice, cut once.  The block was done a while a go but needed to have to words embroidered one. The yellow fabric matched the measuring tape twill ribbon and the fabric was reversed for the turn in the tape.

Another embroidered block that I've finished was Block 20 - Nature's Walk by Vicki Tucek.  I don't get a lot of time for hand sewing and after a day at work sometimes my eyes aren't always up to the task, so I sewn the outlines of the pattern in back stitch and the veins of the leaves were seen in fly stitch.  I had a couple of fabric butterflies so I utilised those as a finishing touch to this.

Last week I took a photo of the collection of 25 blocks. Although I started with a red and white combination other colours gradually crept in but keeping the red element quite strong  seems to be bonding them together.
So there you are, my current round up of blocks. I've very nearly caught up with them all, just one outstanding, which I don't think is at all bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts