27 September 2017

Finish-A-Long Finishes or Not

It is getting towards the end of Quarter 3 of the 2017 Finish-A-Long and three quarters of the way through 2017 - yikes!  The Christmas countdown has already started at work and as at today is 89 sleeps until Christmas - I know, this year is whizzing away fast!!

Ok, so I hoped in Quarter 3 I would finish the Frivols Quilt - no progress there, I haven't even done any sewing at all.  Next is the Hexies table runner, which is now a quilt top and in process of being quilted.  It is slow sewing but I hope I can finish in the next quarter. Here are a couple of pics so far..

Back in June, the hexies were all joined together

And above, on their background fabric, a grey Mode Grunge (not sure of the shade).  There has been quilting in the seams and also around the outline of the appliquéd hexies but it will have some echo quilting and the quilted fabric will be cut to an elongated hexagon shape.

The third item was to knit a pair of socks on short circulars.  Well I found that I wasn't comfortable with short circular needles and was much happier with Magic Loop on longer circular needles.  It is heaps better than using a set of double pointed needles (less stitches to lose is one advantage!).

For those not familiar with the above knitting terms circular needles are a pair of needles joined by a flexible cable in between them.  The short ones (about 12" from tip to tip) are just long enough to keep continuously knit in the round in a spiral.  The long ones mean that the amount of stitches are divided in two so half the stitches are the front and the other half are at the back with a loop of cable between them.  The circular needles I was using were 80cm long so I felt that I had more room.  Anyway these are my first pair, My Favourite Vanilla Sock pattern by Meaghan Schmaltz knitted in West Yorkshire Spinners  Peacock colour way.


So a finish there!  One out of three finishes that I had for Quarter 3.

But I have been doing other things besides.  Blog debut here for another pair of socks, this time for my sister, which I gave to her earlier this month for her birthday.


These socks are knitted in Stylecraft Head Over Heels in the Olympus colour way and the pattern that I've used is Hermione's Everyday Socks by Erica Lueder, which is another free pattern on Ravelry here.

There is another pair on the go for Christmas - so I can't share these with you yet - shame. But I'm really enjoying knitting socks so there may be more to come.

Other sewing finishes this month has been the mini quilt for Gillian in a swap organised by UK Quilters United Facebook Group, which I blogged about here.

I've yet to decide how I finish off the first quilt that I made, but I can add that to Quarter 4.

I have made some more pouches recently.  I make them from scraps and bought some zips cheaply so they've really cost me nothing but my sewing time and they will sell at charity sales.

So that's all for my finishes in Quarter 3 of the Finish-A-Long.

Linking my blog here


Charm About You

2 comments:

  1. So many wonderful makes! The socks are gorgeous and look so cosy! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a busy quarter. I love proper knitted socks but my feet don’t like wearing them. No idea why! Yours look lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment, I will reply back by e-mail. Do come and visit again!

Popular Posts